Thursday, May 19, 2011

Where is May Going?

Wow, it's almost June. Seems like we are  skipping the month of May yet here we are at the May 2-4 weekend. Time is flying. I am working away at my scrap sock sampler blanket, while trying like crazy to finish the border of my First Shetland Shawl. I would post pictures but given it is done in the round it really does not look like much at present.

For those of you who have read my blog, last year I was forced to sell off my cottage due to a family dispute. This is the weekend that I would have been going up to open the cottage. My boat still sits in my garage, taunting me every time I go in. I will miss sitting on my rocker bench, knitting as I listen to the waves wash up onto the shore. Of smelling the nightly fire that my best friend and I would sit at late into most nights. When I think about it, I know I will miss a lot. Really I try  not to think about it.

To help with the "loss" I have pledged to try and put my lawn into the best shape possible. Usually it has been a losing battle, but maybe with me home weekends this year I can actually have my yard looking good. That would be great as I wouldn't have to worry about my neighbors, walking by, and shaking their heads. Now, I don't want you to think that I left it a mess, but it always feels as if there lawns were looking much better manicured.

I also don't think I can go up to visit my best friend, who's cottage was right beside mine. I just can't imagine standing at his cottage, looking over at someone else in my cottage.

On the other side, I kind of feel happy for the family that bought my place. I had 10 great summers, hanging out with my kids. We had no Cable TV and video games were not allowed. Instead we would do things like, walk an talk, swim and play games. Things like sitting around a fire laughing. The last few years my kids stopped coming up as they were teenagers, and hanging with dad wasn't the priority. Now I guess it's time for another family to have those times. To create those memories.

I really think it is going to be different without the cottage.  But of course different does not have to be worse. As we go through life, we continually encounter places where the road jogs in a most unexpected way. All we can do is to follow it and enjoy whatever journey it takes us to. So here's a toast to a summer of new Journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment